Monday, June 9, 2008

Tulsa drivers v. Tyler drivers

My dad left me a suggestion for a post (thanks Dad, love ya!!) so I'll write about it. I can't believe I hadn't wrote about it before since I gripe about it on the phone to them.

I am from a small town near Tulsa, OK. I used to think Tulsa had the worst drivers. At most intersections after a light turns red a couple of cars will race through the light. In Tyler, TX, where I live now, after a light turns red as many as 10 cars will casually go through the light. It's especially common on left turns. I witnessed this for hours a couple of days when I did Huckabee sign waves at the biggest intersection in town. I would watch the d after the left turn light turned red anywhere up to 10 cars would just keep driving. They wouldn't speed up, they would just keep going at their normal speed. What's sad is I am all the time seeing a police car at the front of a line at a red light and then lots of cars run a red light running right in front of them and they don't do a thing. Lately I have been seeing cops all over town and I have never seen a car get pulled over for blatantly.

My family thinks that I am kinda a crazy driver, but I stick out like a sore thumb in Tyler. I slow down when the light turns yellow when everyone else is speeding up. I think living in Tyler has made me a safer driver. Everytime I am out on the road all the crazies come out. Running red lights is just a small reason why the drivers are nuts, but I don't feel like writing a book tonight.

Thanks again Dad!! Happy early Father's Day!!

3 comments:

engelsigh said...

I was just in Tulsa. I wasn't driving - was in the back reading, so I didn't notice the other drivers. Where is Tyler near? We were just in San Antonio, El Paso, and then 40 and 66 all the way back cutting through Amarillo and whatever towns were on the way.

What is Huckabees? I hear about it all the time but have never seen one.

Ruscal said...

I'm in just the opposite spot. I had been living in Tyler and just graduated and moved to Tulsa. I have to agree that while both cities have some horrible drivers, Tyler's are worse. And I hate seeing the cops at Broadway and the loop watch people run the red light, or seein the cops keep up with people doing 60 & 70 in a 35 school zone. I may drive "tactically" (as my dad says) but even I don't push it like that.

Good luck in Tyler.

ps - If you like chineese I reccomend Pe King on 5th near Troup.

Courtney said...

Hey, Ruscal, I tried going to your profile to leave a comment, but it says I can't view your profile. I'll post a reply on here in case you come back.

I hadn't seen the school zone thing too much. It's usually just 5-10 over the speed limit. I'm not condoning that, but luckily I haven't seen 60-70 mph.

I want to get out of my car and walk over to the police car everytime I see someone blantantly run a red light right in front of them and they just sit there.

I hope you like Tulsa!! Downtown is tricky with all the one way streets and tons of construction for the new arena.

I hate Chinese food, but my boyfriend loves it. I'll tell him about it.