Sunday, May 4, 2008

Late night post

RAVE

Chris and I went to go see the movie Iron Man tonight (Saturday night). I wasn't sure if I'd like the movie because the only time I'd really heard of Iron Man was my ex had a video game with Marvel comic superheroes. Chris really wanted to see the movie so I read about it on Yahoo Movies. It sounded cool so I decided to give up on trying to go to a chick flick. The movie. was. AWESOME. I think I may have liked it more than Chris. We think there might be a sequel due to a comment made towards the end. I won't post anymore since the movie came out this weekend.

RANT

After the move we went to eat and then to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. I got some body wash and then went to the cards to pick out Mother's Day cards. Chris was looking at something else and he came up to me and pointed at the ground. The top of my body wash had came off and had dropped a lot of it on the floor in big puddles. To make matters worse the puddles were white and so was the floor. The puddles went around a corner. Chris tried to stand there and warn people and I went to go get someone to clean it up. I didn't see anyone that worked there until I got to the women's clothes. There were two women there so I told them what happened. One of them left to go get help. I went back to where Chris was and a guy who worked there had come by with some kind of cart and was trying to block the spills, but not doing a good job. After a couple of minutes the women comes back with a small caution sign. She's walking really slow, twirling the sign, and slowing down to chat with people on her way over. I told Chris that I thought I was doing the right thing by sticking around, but they are just taking their precious time to clean up a dangerous mess. After she placed the sign (one sign wasn't enough to warn people) I asked her and the man where to put the body wash because it was half empty and the top was broke. I had to ask three times before someone would answer me. They told me to put it at the jewelry counter. I took it there and the lady at the counter asked me to get paper towels and cover the mess to warn people because the lady who cleans up messes was on break and she couldn't leave the jewelry counter. I was so mad that I'm doing their job for them, but I did it.

They don't realize how serious of a situation it was. In college my legal classes spent a ton of time dealing with slip and fall cases. If someone had slipped on that body wash Wal-Mart would have been liable and could have been sued. They had been warned of the mess and took too long to clean it up. They didn't even try to sufficiently warn people of the mess. Instead they had a customer cover for them. There were several workers who walked by the mess and not one of them cleaned it up. I think I'm going to write a letter to their headquarters and let them know about this.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I totally slipped and fell on a perfume spill one time at Wal-Mart...but we just told the workers and that was it.

engelsigh said...

Maybe it's not that they aren't aware - they probably just don't care. Because in all honesty - it's not them that's going to be sued, it's Walmart. Not to mention the fact that they make minimum wage and are just trying to make it through the shift. Yeah, it's crappy that people don't care more.